Frequently Asked Questions

I am overwhelmed by all the different terms about senior services. Do you provide information that can help me to understand these terms?
For service Levels 2 and 3, your GoodLife consultant will explain terms and answer any of your questions. GoodLife Communities offers you a summary description of the features offered by each community listed. Maps can be easily accessed to locate the communities that best fit your needs and location desired, descriptions of the terms used to refer to these communities can be found by clicking here.

What is a CSA? 
Our founder, Barbara Husel, is a (CSA) Certified Senior Advisor. A professional who has received specialized training in aging and the important issues that affect seniors. CSA candidates must pass a challenging national exam to demonstrate their comprehension of what is taught in the CSA curriculum. 

After they pass the exam, they must meet all the requirements and agree to live up to high ethical and professional standards to be able to use the designation.

What is SCSA?
Society of Certified Senior Advisors (SCSA) is the world’s largest membership organization educating and certifying professionals who serve seniors. It was founded in 1997 with input of doctors, attorneys, gerontologists, accountants, financial planners and other experts who believed there was a need for standardized education for professionals who work with seniors.  SCSA requires its members to take continuing education emphasizing ethics and volunteer service to seniors. SRES

What is an SRES agent?
SRES is Seniors Real Estate Specialist.  A real estate agent can elect to take a 2 day class to learn how to more effectively assist seniors through major financial and lifestyle transitions involved in relocating, refinancing or selling their home.  They must take a comprehensive course and pass an exam to become an SRES agent.

What are Advance Directives and other Legal Tools? All 6 of these legal documents, in addition to your Last Will and Testament are highly recommended.Gavel and Contract

  • A Living Will, sometimes called A Directive to Physicians and Family or Surrogates,  spells out your  wishes for the care measures you would like to receive should you become very ill and unable to make such decisions for yourself. 
  • A Medical Power of Attorney (POA) designates someone to speak for you about health care decisions should you be unable to make those decisions or communicate those thoughts. 
  • A Statutory Durable Power of Attorney provides the legal ability for someone to address your financial and business needs. 
  • The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act release (HIPAA) allows medical information to be released only to those people that you designate. 
  • An Out of Hospital Do Not Resuscitate (OOH-DNR) is a form that is completed if you do not want any type of heroic measures performed to sustain your life, when you are in any setting other than a formal hospital. 
  • A Guardianship is a legal process where someone is appointed to make safe medical and financial decisions for someone who is unable to properly care for themselves whether temporarily or permanently. A Self-Declaration of Guardian allows you to designate your choice for the person who will serve in the role of guardian should it become necessary down the road. 

Do you help find HUD/Section 8 housing?
No, unfortunately government funded programs operate independently from our services. If you are looking for HUD/Section 8 housing, you can visit www.hud.gov or call (213) 894-8000 for help.

What is the difference between CCRC and RCH? 
A Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) is a large community that offers Independent Living, Assisted Living, Memory Care and Skilled Nursing, in a campus type of environment.   A Residential Care Home (RCH) otherwise known as Personal Care Home (PCH) or Board and Care Home is a smaller assisted living setting that usually has between 3 and 9 residents, sometimes a few more.  These homes are typically located in a residential neighborhood but may have modifications inside to meet the needs of its residents.

What are the Activities of  Daily Living (ADL’s)?

Bathing             Dressing             Eating            Toileting            Transferring            Continence

These are the functions that some aging adults need assistance with on a daily basis. Transferring in and out of bed or from a chair to a bed or bed to a chair is part of the “Transferring ADL”.  Continence is the ability to not leak or wet, the opposite is called incontinence, which both men and women experience in varying degrees as they get older.

Don’t put up with something that probably can be improved. We will be including, very seldom admitted to areas of concern by seniors in “Health, Safety and Tips” section under Senior Resources. There are exercises, changes in what you eat, and even medical remedies that can make a difference in one's life. Home Care companies can assist you with your ADL’s.

What is Home Care?
Home Care companies provide non-medical assistance and support services provided in peoples' homes for aging adults who have trouble performing some of their ADL’s (Activities of Daily Living). Home care is also most often used by people who are recovering from an illness or accident; disabled, chronically or terminally ill. Home care companies are not funded by Medicare or Medicaid.  Home Care can coordinate bringing outside providers of licensed health care services into the home, hospital or residence community.

What is Health Home Care?
Home Health Care provides medical assistance as well as social work/counseling to those who are homebound (by definition) and in most cases, have a doctor’s order for services. Per Medicare, Home Health Care is: Limited part-time or intermittent skilled nursing care and home health aide services, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language pathology services, medical social services, durable medical equipment (such as wheelchairs, hospital beds, oxygen, and walkers), medical supplies, and other services.For more information, go to: http://www.medicare.gov/Glossary/

What is Age in Place and Universal Design?
Universal design and Age in Place have different meanings yet do the same thing when applied correctly. They are both all about making a home safe, accessible and livable, See Age in Place under Senior resources for more information.

How are GoodLife’s providers screened?
Each service provider has been reviewed and rated through our in-depth survey process, which includes checking on their status with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and doing criminal background checks. Our founder has also met with many of our providers and Realtors personally for a 1 on 1 interview meeting.